Am Mittwoch, 8. Juni 2005 23:12 schrieb Alfille, Paul H.,M.D.:

> You are absolutely welcome to participate.

Then I'm happy to go on the bug-hunt.

Anyway, for my project I need an automation framework (not a GUI, just a
library) for 1-wire devices and Linux, with some things owfs itself doesn't
address, e.g. timers or grouping of 1-wire chips to "devices" - the goal here
is to uniquely identify "devices" instead of single chips and thus, allow
plug'n'work. I want to develop this in Tcl (that's why I'm after the
binding).

I don't know if you are interested in such a framework - it's a little off the
scope.

> 1. MIPS works. Christian Magnusson is the wizard at porting.

Great. I'll try out as soon the hardware arrives.

> 2. Slaves using owserver is the intended design.
> We don't currently implement adding/removing owservers sources while the
> owfs (or whatever) process is running, but there is nothing in the
> underlying design that would prevent it. We'd just have to ponder what the
> communication channel to the master should be for these events.

I'd expect the owtcl client to throw an error if the server is not reachable.
Am I correct? In that case, the automation framework could try to reconnect
every 10s or the like.

> 3. Timing is really 1-wire bus limited. OWFS is straight C code, and TCP/IP
> is small single packets. I'll test the timing if you wish -- what devices
> where you considering?

^^; I thought you already have that data, as this is the first question I'd
expect about any automation system. But Ok, I can measure it myself, too, no
hassle.

> 4. TCL doesn't use SWIG, I believe.
> Serg Oskin is the TCL implementer, and has been very active is fixing any
> problems.

Ok, I will ask him on Tcl issues. The first thing on my nails is:

BUGS
       Simultaneous work of several connections is not supported.

I really need multiple simultaneous connections for my application - who
doesn't? Is this a limitation of owlib (global data structures) or simply a
limitation in the owtcl wrapper? I would start with this bug if someone
guides me.

Kind regards

        Jan