From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of
Alfille, Paul H.,M.D.
Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2005 6:47 AM
To: owfs-developers@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [Owfs-developers] First Post and some questions

What would you like it to do?
We have several choices:
1. Report (after a timeout) as no devices present on that owserver, and keep
reporting that until reconnected.
2. Have a separate means of testing status and response. Adding a "present" flag
would have nice homology with the 1-wire device structure.
3. Error and die.

I'll have to test, but I think we do number 1.

Paul Alfille

------------------

> You can certainly aggregate several owservers. All the packages use the
> same underlying owlib that has multiple data sources built in. The only
> question is whether you can pass all their names on the "command line" --
> the invoking call. It is probably better design to "aggregate" to a local
> owserver, and then use that owserver for all the TCL calls. That allows
> more than one process to talk to the devices, and probably reduces startup
> times.

If I use it that way, I would have have no control about the data passed via
TCP. What happens if a local owserver cannot connect to a remote one? Does it
try again? This is really a knockout criteria, as the device should be
"self-healing" to the greatest extent possible.

        Jan