Am Freitag, 10. März 2006 12:43 schrieb Christoph Scheurer:
> > > Sorry, that was too unspecific. What I mean is: one could just use an
> > > empty I2C-slave module with only the basic I2C communication support
> > > that recognizes the DS2482 and move all the W1 specific functions to
> > > OWFS.
> >
> > Besides having only a brief look into the w1 kernel code, I think
> > handling the remote chips is a userspace task, like with RS232 host
> > adapter interface in kernelspace and modem/terminal control by a
> > userspace program.
>
> That is exactly what I had in mind. The DS2482 is an I2C slave, so you have
> a kernel module for the DS2482 which only recognizes the chip as an I2C
> slave and attaches it to the I2C master (whatever that is in your
> application: on-board, in-chip, parallel, serial, ...). Then you can
> communicate to the DS2482 through opening the /dev/i2c-? that represents
> the I2C-bus on which your DS2482 is attached the same way as you talk to a
> serial 1-wire adapter through /dev/ttyS? . The only complication (which is
> more like the USB case) is that now you have to explicitly include the
> I2C-address of your DS2482 since there can be multiple DS2482 on any
> I2C-bus.

Hm, I like parts of Evgeniy's approach. The way you describe it i2c->Onewire
hosts would not be transparent against e.g. rs232->Onewire hosts.

To fix my position: I think it's best to have a generic w1 kernel interface
like the generic usb, serial or parport driver. But I'll think Evgeniy
already implemented that. All additional interfacing should be doen in
userland.

Kind regards

        Jan
--
It's no wonder they call it WinNT; WNT = VMS++