> What should the command line interface look like?
>
> owfs /dev/i2c-?/address
Just a suggestion concerning the internal structure of such an adapter:

If you look at Documentation/i2c/smbus-protocol it seems to be better to
implement it only using the SMBus subset of the I2C protocol, if at all
possible. Otherwise owfs would have to check whether the /dev/i2c-? device
really supports the full I2C protocol (see Documentation/i2c/functionality ).

The advantage I see with implementing the adapter based on the SMBus protocol
is, that most motherboards contain SMBus controllers that are supported by the
I2C subsystem. You can get access to theses buses e.g. off of SDRAM modules
(see http://www.madhacker.org/locate_smbus.htm ) and the DS2482 could be
easily (internally) attached to any PC.

Christoph

--
Christoph Scheurer                                  GnuPG key Id: 0x6128C6B6