That's a great solution.

What should the command line interface look like?

owfs /dev/i2c-?/address

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Christoph
Scheurer
Sent: Friday, March 10, 2006 7:25 AM
To: owfs-developers@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Owfs-developers] w1 changes

> > > Sorry, that was too unspecific. What I mean is: one could just use an
empty
> > > I2C-slave module with only the basic I2C communication support that
> > > recognizes the DS2482 and move all the W1 specific functions to OWFS.
> > >
> > Besides having only a brief look into the w1 kernel code, I think handling
the
> > remote chips is a userspace task, like with RS232 host adapter interface in
> > kernelspace and modem/terminal control by a userspace program.
> That is exactly what I had in mind. The DS2482 is an I2C slave, so you have
> a kernel module for the DS2482 which only recognizes the chip as an I2C slave
> and attaches it to the I2C master (whatever that is in your application:
> on-board, in-chip, parallel, serial, ...). Then you can communicate to the
> DS2482 through opening the /dev/i2c-? that represents the I2C-bus on which
> your DS2482 is attached the same way as you talk to a serial 1-wire adapter
> through /dev/ttyS? . The only complication (which is more like the USB case)
> is that now you have to explicitly include the I2C-address of your DS2482
> since there can be multiple DS2482 on any I2C-bus.
You can even go one step further and completely eliminate the module for the
DS2482 if I understand kernel-src/Documentation/i2c/dev-interface correctly.
You just open the correct /dev/i2c-? , use ioctl(file,I2C_SLAVE,long addr) to
set the (known) address of your DS2482 and use read() and write() to
communicate with the DS2482. This is complete user-space access as far as the
1-wire functionality is concerned and kernel modules are only used for the I2C
(master-) adapters.

Christoph

--
Christoph Scheurer                                  GnuPG key Id: 0x6128C6B6

http://scheurer-clark.net