On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 11:04:37AM -0500, Alfille, Paul H.,M.D. ([EMAIL
PROTECTED]) wrote:
> Evgeniy,
>
> I hope I represented w1 correctly. I am excited about being able to use it
> with
> OWFS.
>
> My note was more to point out the current state of w1 and OWFS, and to point
> out
> some of the areas where the two use different approaches.
>
> For many complex applications, the 1-wire bus utilization is very high. Being
> able to control the traffic becomes important. Listing the alarm directory is
> good example, and controlling when a full bus scan is done. This is in
> contrast
> to the initial goal of w1: sensor monitoring, where having temperature polling
> and alarms should be handled without user intervention. I'm sure we can work
> out
> a design that works for both.
>
> Is the netlink socket interface the prefered method? I'm just starting the
> design phase and can use netlink or sysfs.

Netlink is definitely the way to go.
Sysfs was designed for simple one-shot events, like turn on/turn off.
As we saw - simple data reading requires a lot of racy manipulations.
Netlink is a UDP-like protocol, which can be used for
kernelspace<->userspace or user<->user multicast transfers.
Using sequence and acknowledge numbers for request/response design
allows to control the whole dataflow.
Asynchronous events, like new device found or alarm search results, will
be delivered to all "subscribed" applications.

        Evgeniy Polyakov