Ok, communication is via tcp.

1. open port
2. send a message
3. wait for response (single response except for directories).
4. close port

Message has format:
6 words (24 bytes) fixed header
variable length "payload"
Words must be sent in network order (bigendian I believe)
Header is:
 Version (use 0)
 Payload (size of variable length in bytes)
 Type (see below)
 SG (basically temperature scale)
 Size (for writes, size of data portion of payload)
 Offset (for reads and writes, usually 0)
Type
 0 error
 1 nop
 2 read
 3 write
 4 dir
 5 size (not used any more)
 6 presence

Basically, you set up the header, and follow it with payload, and send the
whole thing.
Payload is typically the "path" e.g. /10.12300432433/temperature
Possibly followed with a value for writes.

You get back about the same thing. The fields are slightly different (error
codes, data length) but the value is in the payload.

If you want to do this, I'm sure people would be glad to assist. It
certainly sounds like an interesting project.

Paul Alfille

On 12/4/06, chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Monday 04 December 2006 12:02, Paul Alfille wrote:
> On 12/4/06, chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I understand that owfs is unlikely to run on windows but is it
possible
> > to tun
>
> Au-contraire! (Though the windows port is not yet of the same quality.
> There have been reports of memory leaks that need to be investigated).
>
> owpython on a windows box connected to owserver without  resorting to
>

> Ahh! You want to communicate (with owserver?) via python, but not use
the
> libow library (which builds under cygwin).
> This has been done for other languages:
>
> owshell -- uses C to talk to the owserver directly. Perhaps a little
> complex, since it includes the Bonjour code and came from a stripped
> version of libow in the first place.
>
> owsim -- a work in progress that uses Tcl to talk to owserver. Tcl has
> great network support and we essentially parse the owserver protocol in
Tcl

http://owfs.cvs.sourceforge.net/owfs/owfs/module/simulants/ownet.tcl?revisi

http://owfs.cvs.sourceforge.net/owfs/owfs/module/simulants/owhandler.tcl?re
>vision=1.8&view=markup (Note that owsim is a owserver, rather than
client).

> excellent but rather cumbersome methods like cygwin?

Yep that is the sort of line I'd like to be able to take. I'm very messy
at
code, but where's theres a will, I'm building a higher object model using
Django http://www.djangoproject.com which constructs database models from
python class models.

> > I am keen to be able to monitor the one wire network in several places
> > all of
> > which are windows devices with users who are even more simplistic than
> > myself
> > ( if that can be believed, my only defence is that some of them are 6
> > years
> > old)
>
> You underestimate your progeny! If they can hack python, they are
probably
> os agnostic.

They mostly use it to cheat on maths homework. Niether have realised
multiplication is a lookup.

> owpython seems only to be availabe as an rpm, can I just copy the source

I really don't want to have to re-write too much cos I'm lazy, and the
more I
write the more errors I know are there.

A Sensor object is a lovely concept in itself.

> I presume you want to display (and perhaps control) your system on
> distributed computers, with more than one platform. Have you considered
> building a web app? Your cgi code can use python or bash or whatever.
You
> can expose whatever you want, even full owhttpd. It would be easier to
> develope and use a central http server, trusting that all other machines
> can easily load a browser.

There's an attempt to generate a distributed model for community energy
use
monitoring that's running out of a forum:
http://navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=678.0

I'm keen to plug into Visual Python for object representations of solar
rigs.
have a look at http://www.spritenote.co.uk/solar.html for an idea of what
I'm
up to.
I've got a pretty awful object model running which might allow auto
assembly
of this sort of system.

> Besides, we believe in cultural diversity.
> And we have great sympathy for non-native American speakers.
>
> Paul Alfille

Hadn't considered the language implications of the style. And isn't the
language English :D.. or is it actually written in Navaho?