On 12/5/06, Paul Alfille <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I like it.
>
> Should it completely replace owpython? The disadvantage is that it requires
> owserver to be running. We could support both (with a different name).

I don't think it should replace owpython. I like the idea of providing
both so that the developers can decide which better meets their needs.
Besides, I have a bunch of OW code that wants to use owpython as it is
today ;-)

> One advantage of this approach is that you can have different owpython
> objects, pointing to different owservers.

Yeah, I thought that would be a great feature. Once initialized, a
developer's python code wouldn't care where the sensor lived in the
network. Thought it might make for some rather interesting
debugging...

> Object initialization should support temperature scale, address/port.
> Eventually you could consider "Bonjour" (mdns autodiscovery) -- there may
> already be a python module for that (look for _owserver._tcp as the
> service). You might consider allowing the configuration file as input --
> ignoring the mant irrelevant entries.

Sure but I'd like to get the basics working first.

On a related topic, I was thinking about using URL's to access sensors
and fields. Something that would follow a REST
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representational_State_Transfer) style
interface. Like http://host:port/10.B7B64D000800/temperature to read a
temperature. Using this style would make for a much simpler mechanism
to interact with an owserver. Or at least that's the thought...

- Peter