I am writing a 1 wire slave library for the AVR series of
microcontrollers.

That should allow you to do all the stuff you want.

Hooking into OWFS might be a little tricky if everyone implements
their own functionality though.

If a standard set of functionalities can be agreed on, (counter, pwm,
tri state pio, temp sensor, ADC, memory access), then almost anything
could be done

Anyone have other suggestions for functionality?

I figure that should cover most cases, and other stuff could be done
with the memory access. In fact I will most likely implement it all
with memory commands.

Off topic:
I have also considered making a complete clone of the DS2490 (usb to 1
wire master) on an AVR chip. $30 is too much for a USB -> 1wire adapter!

An ATTiny chip should be able to handle it no problem

Would this be interesting? Is there a datasheet on the 2490 usb
interface? Owfs supports it, so I should be able to get what I need
from the source code, worst case

-tmk