Am 18.02.2015 um 08:23 schrieb Gregg Levine:

> In it he writes that it needed a 4.7K pull up resistor to Vbat. Well I
> found one and attached it. Same strange behavior as before. But what I'm
> concerned with more is what are the rest of us doing with their parts? What
> resistor value was selected for all of yours, and what is the part doing?

Wait, where do you apply that resistor? From DS2423 Vbat pin to actual
Vbat? That's wrong.

The 5k pullup resistor on DQ is mentioned in the datasheet (page 25,
note 5). That pullup *may* be needed in your application because the
DS2423 has no Vdd pin, just a VBat pin. That pVbat pin is for retaining
the internal RAM contents only. All the power to the bus controller
inside the chip is taken from DQ.

Effectively, you will need that pullup if you plan to hot-plug the
DS2423 device to the bus, because without the pullup, it may pull down
the bus too long and so, generate a fake reset pulse. If you don't
hot-plug, you don't need the pullup on DQ.

On the counter inputs I use a 10k pullup and 10nF capacitor to GND to
debounce simple switches.

Kind regards

        Jan