Just to clarify - I wasn't being serious.

From: ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com [mailto:ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com] On
Behalf Of James Chapman-Smith
Sent: Friday, June 25, 2010 1:48 AM
To: 'ozDotNet'
Subject: RE: KPI's for software developers

Hi Richard & David,

I'd be wary about using "amount of code" & "bugs they fix" as KPI's. IMHO both
are terrible as far as KPI's. Here's why:

It's my experience that there are two main things that create bugs - code &
documentation.

The more code you write the more bugs you'll get (and the number of bugs for
each extra line increases as you go).

Documentation is just a bug accelerator. If a client reads that a textbox is 67
pixels wide and yours in only 63 then you have a bug. It's best not to have
written that amount of detail.

Now, if you reward coders by using the "amount of code" as a positive KPI then
you are in fact generating more bugs. If you then reward coders further by
counting bugs fixed as a positive KPI then you are further encouraging large
amounts of sloppy code writing.

So, "amount of code" & "bugs they fix" KPI's just encourage lots of sloppy
coding.

I do, however, agree that "soda they drink" is an excellent KPI. :)

If I were pressed for actually cool KPI I would suggest "Ratio of Test Code to
Production Code", "Percentage of Code coverage" & "Feature Burn Rate".

Cheers.

James.