I use an iPad with Amazon's Kindle software and I've downloaded over a dozen
technical books. I'm happy with it for two reasons. First, the size and
clarity of the screen makes it easy to read as long as you're indoors or out
of the way of direct sunlight, which I tend to be when using my computer
anyway (as the technical books are about programming). Second, I can use my
device for more than just ebooks so I tend to carry it with me rather than
having to make an extra effort to include a single-purpose device.

I can't read a computer screen for any length of time, but I can comfortably
read an Amazon ebook on an iPad screen for long flights like last night's
one from Adelaide to Perth. A worthy alternative.

Jeff