From: ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com [mailto:ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com] On
Behalf Of Scott Barnes
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 10:56 PM
To: ozdotnet@ozdotnet.com
Subject: RE: Is Silverlight dead ?

RE: David Kean.
David, we've never meet so i'm guessing you're assuming either the worst or
prefer character attacks vs answering the hard questions ;) like is WPF is
Dead? given you have @microsoft.com how about we spend more energy in
clarifying the remarks instead of ad hominem attacks? - that or learn to
evangelize more effectively :) - as you will note, i've consistently said i'm a
fan of WPF and Silverlight and THUS why the motivation behind what i have done
to draw attention to the reality of the future of both WPF/Silverlight given
the current internal climate.

RE: Silverlight is Dead.
Silverlight isn't dead. It's just got question marks above how it will affect
the market and more to the point where this bus is heading so to speak. You can
hear my thoughts on this in a number of podcasts floating around the place
(Sparkling Client will have one up soon and one via Talkingshop Downunder)

to quote myself:

"..way Microsoft to date knows how is to either spend majority of its focus on
convincing developers that Silverlight is the better option.."

"I'm simply about highlighting the disconnect here and if the Windows
8 / IE teams of today think that Silverlight / WPF is something they can
deprecate because they dislike people in DevDiv or its current model then think
again, as this is one of those rare moments in time where you have a hung jury
in terms of which of the two is really the best bet..."

So not sure where David etc are drawing thine inspiration from in declaring i
am flip flopping over my preferences for Silverlight?
given its the whole heart & soul of this whole debate - that and putting focus
back on WPF and asking a big question "Where's this going".

RE: Motivation.
Again, you can read why i was motivated to post the thoughts i have etc via my
blog. The main reason was to circumvent the "David Keans"
of the Microsoft internal as typically these types of personalities often will
squash left field opinions for fear of throwing the brand itself into question
or constructive criticism. At times these folks really need to get out of the
Redmond bubble, jump on some planes, visit folks at the cubicle level and not
at the TechEd like cheerleader-thons and one can soon realize fast that what
the Redmond postcode thinks vs whats reality are vastly different.

Regards,

Scott Barnes

http://www.riagenic.com