On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 6:10 PM, Paul Stovell <paul.stov...@readify.net> wrote:
> > > Broken how?

[...]

> In Mercurial it works different. You'd pull the 19 changes made to the trunk
> to your local repository - they'd be replayed, one-by-one, against your
> files. You'll still do the merges (leaving alone that Mercurial does a much
> better job of merging than TFS out of the box), but since you're dealing
> with one or two commits at a time, the merges are pretty simple, and if you
> screw up, you don't have to start the whole thing again. Once you've
> merged the trunk into your branch, you'd just push everything back to trunk.
> Now all the changes are replayed against trunk, and trunk has all 32
> commits, with their history and dates exactly as you wrote them when you
> checked them in during the week. It's a much more elegant model.

Right. (Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I haven't used TFS and was more
interested in how you consider Subversions merge broken; I understand
that in the system you are describing it is 'different', I don't see
any point in calling Subversion 'broken' though).

--
silky

http://dnoondt.wordpress.com/

of being this signature."