I have implemented ssl using the same IP for  a few websites but using another
port for ssl which solves this issue.

From: ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com [mailto:ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com] On
Behalf Of David Connors
Sent: Thursday, 14 April 2011 1:27 PM
To: ozDotNet
Subject: Re: adding ssl to asp.net website

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 10:36 PM, Richard Carde <rich...@carde.id.au> wrote:

I think you disregarded the part about 'falling back'.  If you've committed to
securing the login process via SSL then you've used that IP address already.
Yes, there's overhead.  Yes, you might need more than 1 IP - but only if you
need to secure other content to avoid creating issues related to mixed-mode
security - fetching non-secure (static) content from other hosts or if you're
using a CDN.  But isn't your customer's security more important?

I would argue that smaller shops would host all content from the same server or
reference ssl-enabled CDNs. Larger shops possibly reverse proxy content from a
single listener which requires only a single IP address.

Slightly related to this, a mate mentioned to me a couple of weeks ago that
there is such a thing as SSL over a shared IP. This conversation prompted me to
mail him and ask him and it turns out that there is a TLS extension called SNI
(Server Name Identification) that allows the server name to be known and the
correct certificate to be selected, prior to the negotiation of the TLS channel
(RFC4366) - it has been around since 2006 - given how much I tend to have my
snout in this sort of stuff I am surprised I have only heard about it now.

Apache supports SNI - No idea about IIS7.5.

--
David Connors |  <mailto:da...@codify.com> da...@codify.com |
<http://www.codify.com> www.codify.com