On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 10:40 AM, Nick Randolph <n...@builttoroam.com>wrote:

> Yeh but you’re working on the assumption the phone team is stupid. They’re
> not, they understand the trade offs, they recognise this will piss certain
> people off, they look at the market and the majority _*just don’t care!!!*_
> It’s as simple as that. Trade off of new features, upgraded platform versus
> the tiny % of the population that actually care.****
>
> ** **
>
> Windows Phone still suffers from chicken and egg syndrome. Whilst there
> are a lot of apps coming into market, it’s still a small % compared to
> other platforms. Developers won’t build for a platform with such a low
> percentage market share (not worth it). Yet, consumers won’t buy devices
> without the core set of apps. Well that’s what the various tech journals
> would have you believe.

If you make it really easy to port apps, then they (devs) will.  This means
Microsoft need to make it easy, Android and Apple already have established
market.

> The reality is that people buy phones for a TON of different reasons
> ranging from it being bright and shiny (think Lumia 610) to having a
> freakin massive screen (Galaxy Note) to having a wide range of awesome apps
> (iPhone). ****
>
> **

And some people just want a phone, but don't mind using the shiny extras.

>  **
>
> If Microsoft want to succeed they need to sell phones. Simple as that. So
> it’s a balancing act between getting developers (in the long term) to build
> for the platform versus pissing some developers off in the short term. WP8
> is that bet imho – they’ve stated they’re chasing Enterprise, Gaming and
> compat with Windows. I get it, that’s where developers want to be building
> app. I see WP8 as delivering on that.

Possibly.  My concern is that W8 on desktop is being shoehorned to make it
superficially compatible with WP8.  But in the long term, I will keep on
playing and working with both. :)

--
Meski

 http://courteous.ly/aAOZcv

"Going to Starbucks for coffee is like going to prison for sex. Sure,
you'll get it, but it's going to be rough" - Adam Hills