I agree with you Greg. Having used Win8 now for a development project, I
find it so annoying having to switch between the screens. I moved the blocks
around so that my most used apps were sitting in the middle of the tile
screen, but it wasn't enough. Anything that I use more frequently now ends
up on the task bar, which also has a usability issue in that it is becoming
cluttered - there needs to be a better way of separating pinned apps and
running apps than just putting them all on the desktop. And I continually go
for the start orb.  I have thought about how I could be efficient knowing
the orb ins't there, and I can't see it. I feel it is too easy to lose
mental context every time I want to open up another app, and it can take a
few minutes to get back to where I was. I am seriously considering getting
the startdock add in now, to get my developer efficiency back.

If the aim was to reduce the efficiency of developers, then they're going to
succeed. I can even imagine the developers inside Microsoft arguing about
this themselves internally, and getting shutdown by management.

And whoever thought putting the Power button under Settings? I mean,
seriously, what were they thinking?

T.