Good link Nick.

Windows 8 RTM, with VS 2012 RTM.
Resharper (cause i'm a noob without it)
Asus eee slate (with Windows 8 on it) for testing the touch stuff. Highly
recommend you test with touch. The simulator that comes with VS2012 is good
but nothing beats a real device.
Lots of late nights. Its addictive.

If you have MSDN then you should have a token to sign up on the store for
free. (I did with Premium anyway. not sure about Professional I'd assume
so).
So you register an app, reserve the name you'd like. Fill in the boxes and
read all the Learn more links.
Write your app.
There's a Store menu in Visual Studio that does some Windows 8 app things.
Either short cuts that take you to the appropriate page, or kick of tasks
such as Package your app, Associate with Application in Windows store
(where you point it to the App name you registered).
Once you find the Store menu (its under Project menu I think.. )