From: ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com [mailto:ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com] On
Behalf Of Paul Glavich
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2013 5:53 PM
To: 'ozDotNet'
Subject: RE: SPAM-LOW Re: WCF service best practises

Nope. Remoting is a way to marshal objects across a boundary whether that be
appDomain (2 separate appDomains on the same machine) or a network boundary
(machine 1 to machine 2). It looks and operates very much like DCOM if that
helps, in that it appears that you have a reference to the same object on
either end. Security wise it is not so strong but it works well and security
can be implemented via it channel sink mechanism. It goes way back to .Net 1
and is embedded in the core framework. Back in .Net 1 days it was either ASMX
web services or remoting to get across machines. As already surmised, it is not
promoted as a communications or messaging strategy since it is proprietary and
quite low level from a framework perspective.

System.Net.EnterpriseServices is kind of a COM+/DCOM wrapper for .Net and
allowed things like easily exposing .Net components via COM+/DCOM (as a
ServicedComponent) through the component services manager (although you don't
have to do this) for use by .Net and non .Net clients alike (primarily VB 6,
C/C++ etc...). I can't say I have used this namespace in a while though so
memory is a little rusty. The component services manager also made it easier to
manage transaction scopes for components and monitor their use, in particular
distributed transactions. The component services manager is actually quite
powerful. You had a bunch of attributes in the namespace which allowed
participation in DTC trx negotiation. There is more which I am sure others can
highlight for you.

-          Glav