I think they are responding to the BYOD movement as well. The days of IT
staff defining an SOE and forcing everyone to use it are gone, or at least
disappearing fast. It's really common to have top-down decisions on this
stuff now ie: CEOs coming in with their tablets and saying "make it work
here".

I've just spent quite a bit of time moving around dozens of software houses,
and I can tell you that almost everyone has an HTML5/CSS3/JS story. They see
it as a design choice that isn't going to disappear again tomorrow, even
though building apps there is still so much harder than what it should be.
It's seen as a hard but safe bet. Most are using additional frameworks like
KendoUI.

This sort of change isn't new though. What does concern me is the loss of
productivity we've had over the years.

We didn't move to web apps in the first place because users were screaming
out for slow delivery times, a lousy user interface and session state that's
likely to throw away their work without warning. As an example, OWA is a
pretty good web app but it's not a patch on Outlook. The initial move to web
apps was all about IT departments not wanting to deal with deployment
issues, because they were just too hard sometimes.

I see this as just the next part of this trend. I look at productivity
though and it could make you cry. I've just spent a couple of weeks coding
in an MVC4 project, and while I like it and can see the appeal of it, I
can't help but thinking I could have created the same business functionality
in a winforms app in less than a day. At least it runs all over the place
(sort of).

Dr Greg Low

1300SQLSQL (1300 775 775) office | +61 419201410 mobile│ +61 3 8676 4913 fax

SQL Down Under | Web:  <http://www.sqldownunder.com/> www.sqldownunder.com