I've been using windows 8 since the RTM bits became available: it has grown on
me, but honestly I still rarely ever use the start screen tiles. That's mainly
because I use predominantly desktop apps, combined with relative poor quality
metro apps for the day to day tasks.
For example:

(1) mail: It just doesn't have the features I'm used to, such as how do you
search multiple folders. If I have to use something other than outlook, I'd
much prefer google or outlook.com.  And Outlook of course doesn't have live
tiles (not that they'd really do much for me other than show number of
new/unread mail items

(2) Calendar: I do use this, mainly for a google calendar from another
organisation. Problem is if I update mail app, apparently I loose the google
calendar sync. Other problem is no integration with outlook

(3) Photos: uhm, what the #### ?  I can view my photos and that's about it. If
I select a couple of photos I can't see any way to do anything with them.. no
Share, no upload, no retouch... Nothing.

(4) People :  Looks potentially promising but because Mail is lame, it suffers
from complete lack of integration in my day to day because it doesn't integrate
with Outlook.  Ironically, Outlook 2013 has trouble synching my people list
from @Live, yet People doesn't. One of the reasons I'm stuck using Outlook 2010
alongside Office 2013.  I guess one day if the Office and Windows teams work
together (<cough>anti-trust</cough>), then this along with the mail and
calendar issues may be fixed, but until then ......

And because I don't use the live tiles for my day to day, I really don't get
into or explore the whole "app store" thing.

So in regard to surface pro, I don't think that will change the way people
perceive it much at all. They'll basically be using it a lot like I do.  The
dream of the seamless integration with Windows Phone experience will still just
be a teaser at this stage. I'm hoping blue will take a lot of my windows 8
blues away (there's still hope ;) )