I was told at Uni (1980) that COBOL was going to die real soon... Since
then COBOL paid off all of my first mortgage.
It was not until about 1994 that COBOL stopped earning for me and I am sure
that there are a lot of people out there still paying their way with it.
.NET may be on the start of a down turn, but if it is, it has a long way to
go, for now I am happy to stay with .NET, but Microsoft scare me, they have
to look out for what they think is best for Microsoft and we could get
swept up with the good or the bad of that, we have to accept that we have
little control of the ride we are on!  Would other options be better, I
doubt it, just different.

Interesting to look at the job trends, look at:
http://www.simplyhired.com/a/jobtrends/trend/q-asp.net+programmer%2Cruby+programmer%2Clamp+programmer

[image: Asp.net Programmer, Ruby Programmer, Lamp Programmer trends graph]

There is a down trend which is not good, I don't know why the data stops a
year ago????
It may have all changed in the last year?