Ø  What's the real benefit to wireless keyboards?

1)      You haven’t seen my desk at work. Once you get to a certain point,
every additional wire increases clutter O(C^n).

2)      For my main music workstation at home, the tower is far enough from the
keyboard/mouse area that I can’t route the cabling cleanly without cutting
holes in my desk or running the wires around the front. I tried USB extension
leads but the 3-4 I tried had a tendency to stop responding intermittently or
come unplugged too easily.

3)      If you want the keyboard and mouse out of the way (eg you’re using a
graphics tablet or perhaps not using the computer at all, just want the desk
space for old fashioned pen on paper brainstorming) it’s much more convenient
to pop them both in a drawer than finding somewhere to stick them subject to
the usable reach of the cable (see: beginning of clutter).

That’s my main three, and aside from more practical concerns it just looks
cleaner.

My main concern with a backlit wireless keyboard would be battery life but
after having a wireless keyboard at home I wouldn’t use anything else there. At
work the laptop is on the desk so cable reach is not such an issue but clutter
still is. I only use a wired keyboard there because there isn’t exactly an
abundance of mechanical tenkey-less wireless keyboards to choose from.

(PS: FWIW ever since ball mice went the way of the dodo I’ve never had a mouse
cable wear out on me before the buttons or optical/laser/etc sensor).