From: ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com [mailto:ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com] On
Behalf Of David Connors
Sent: Wednesday, 4 September 2013 12:13 PM
To: ozDotNet
Subject: Re: [OT] NBN revisited

On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 11:57 AM, Ken Schaefer
<k...@adopenstatic.com<mailto:k...@adopenstatic.com>> wrote:
Um, since when am I a “FTTP nutjob”?

Your antipathy to the current NBN is well known.

I have an antipathy for piling up money and setting it on fire.

I think that’s called a “straw man” argument – no one’s advocating the mass
burning of money. All you’re doing here is drawing a debateable equivalence.

Since you’re been involved in enough IT projects over the last couple of
decades you should also know that “all sweeping generalisations are wrong” and
that the opposite of “let’s do this right” is “let’s have a hodge-podge of
different things that could cripple you in the future”. Both approaches have
risks – neither is the “one true path”

Sorry no. If you can deliver something of benefit today for good value, then
you should do it. If you have existing infrastructure that is servicing
millions of people with 100mbps then you shouldn't pull it out and replace it -
that's dogma.

So, you’re basically advocating keeping this 100mbps kit, even if it doesn’t
meet future requirements, or isn’t fit for purpose? That seems like dogma to me.

Surely any decision on what to do should start with requirements, and work from
there. Not start with the solution and work backwards.

Cheers
Ken