There are other words you could use to describe someone who wants
everything for free and won't pay (or expect others to pay) for what they
use.

Not wanting this to degenerate into name calling, and everyone are
different. Its not wrong to want a good deal, and everyone loves freebies
just the same as its not wrong to run a successful business. How is running
a business writing software that you charge people directly to use any
different to writing a free app, that hooks into banner ads any different?

Personally, I know how much effort and time goes into writing software. I
buy the tools and software that I use, as I factor in how long it would
take me to write something. Even Microsoft's msdn is good value at
thousands. I could never write visual studio (or windows, or blend, or
office) in a month.

Same thing for the many online services that I use. A couple of ads on the
page seems like a bargain. If I want privacy then I turn off the TV, turn
off the computer. My house has locks on the door and I can turn off my
mobile phone (and no landline anymore). I choose how private I want things
to be...