On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 4:32 PM, Greg Keogh <g...@mira.net> wrote:

> I'm glad the subject of "1984" finally came up in the context of
> advertising. When I read Orwell's book in early high school it had a deep
> and lasting influence over me.

The experience of 'reading' books in school scarred me.  I'd be finished
with it in a day or so, and weeks on, the class would still be dissecting
it.

> Even since I have been very sensitive to propaganda, double-speak, weasel
> words and varieties of fallacious argument techniques; and the primary
> sources of these things are politics and advertising. So for me:
>
> Assert.IsTrue(advertising == propaganda);

Yes, mostly.  Adsense is like the 'classifieds' of advertising - brief and
succinct.  TV ads, OTOH, are pushing a lot more at you, potentially without
you being aware of it.

> Encrypted advertising?! Now there's a challenging idea. Ignorance is
> strength.

10 + 10 = 100 (1984 would say 101)

--
Meski

 http://courteous.ly/aAOZcv

"Going to Starbucks for coffee is like going to prison for sex. Sure,
you'll get it, but it's going to be rough" - Adam Hills