For a dev machine I think it's overkill. Using one of our main applications at
work as the test case to justify a move to SSDs, times for running the unit
tests (times averaged over 5 runs of each) were:

(mins:seconds)

1x magnetic drive with everything on one drive: 3:42
1x SSD with everything on one drive: 0:54
1x magnetic drive (OS), 1x SSD (documents/project files/etc): 0:52
1x magnetic drive (OS), 1x SSD (documents/project files/etc) with temp folders,
paging file etc on SSD: 0:44
2x SSD (one for OS, one for documents/project files/etc): 0:33
2x SSD (RAID 0) with everything on one drive: 0:31

RAID 0 has its place when disk access is a major bottleneck (eg video
production, music studio workstations, high volume database server etc) but for
a software development it's pretty wasteful when you get near-enough
indistinguishable performance by having the two drives running separately, plus
double the storage space and only risking half as much data if one of them
fails.
PS: those numbers are from last-gen SSDs (read/write around 250/200Mbps) so I
would expect the performance of a single current-gen SSD (around 500/400) to be
even closer to the two drive configurations making a RAID 0 setup even harder
to justify.
On 29 January 2014 15:30, Ken Schaefer