Thomas,

You can just add aurelia to the head and be done and started just like
Angular(1) albeit your productivity will be slow.

Your issues sound to me like saying I can just open Notepad and start
coding my C# project. Why would I install Visual Studio?
Why would you install Nuget or MSBuild or System.Web.Optimization libraries
to bundle JS files? You installed them all as part of Visual Studio, that's
the only difference.
- node.js is like .Net framework (that comes these days as part of Windows)
- gulp is msbuild
- nuget is npm and bower
- System.Web.Optimization is like jspm + nuget
- Yeoman - I have no idea, I haven't installed or used that
- systemjs is not required, it's a nice to have to make things easier to
load and do the bundling/dependency resolving to avoid you to "just add
another .js file to the head". You can keep doing that and not need
systemjs. Kind of the .Net BundleCollection on steroids.
- Babel - don't know, didn't use it.
- TypeScript - it's an awesome option that compiles down to JS directly
without Babel. You really want to use this unless to avoid writing JS.
Typescript looks and feels like C# instead of JS.
Again, it's optional but heck, I hate JS

You can get prepared startup projects for VisualStudio with none of the
above odd tools:
https://github.com/cmichaelgraham/aurelia-typescript/tree/master/skel-nav-require-vs-ts
Clean, .Net solution with couple of JS files.

Side note> Angular1 requires a massive amount of work to get anything
working and get a project more than a simple demo of the ground. Angular2
has a hard to read syntax. How am I supposed to make the difference between
(click) and [click] and {click} and what each does?

Look, I totally hate JS and I only started to use these tools myself last
week, I also found the confusing at times and all have funny names and
can't figure out why there are configurations for requirejs, amd, system,
systemjs and 4 other loader libraries or what are the differences between
them but heck, after few days of work I got something cool working, and a
great UI that I tried to build before in Angular and I hated myself every
day I had to learn some random new awkward behaviour, directive, service,
provider, filter ...

I found Aurelia to rock in design and simplicity compared to Angular and
found it fast to learn and apply.

Just my 2 cents.