I note with interest that they’re hiring people to migrate winforms to core.

Regards,

Greg

Dr Greg Low
1300SQLSQL (1300 775 775) office | +61 419201410 mobile│ +61 3 8676 4913 fax
SQL Down Under | Web: www.sqldownunder.com

________________________________
From: [email protected] on behalf of David Rhys Jones 
<[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 5:59 pm
To: ozDotNet
Subject: Re: Blazor comments

Flash died because it was bug ridden and provided a huge amount of backdoors 
into pc's. Silverlight was only there to take flash's market share. When flash 
died so did silverlight it's mission accomplished. Microsoft's goal for many 
years is to be web based only. The keep trying to push developers towards web 
based architecture.

.02c



On Wed, 30 Jan 2019, 07:53 Arjang Assadi 
<[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]> wrote:
until a rendering engine is included I can not see any benefit to using blazer 
or any other WASM equivalents. Flash as bad as it was , was a better solution , 
no idea what the big idea was to kill it off , or for that matter ms 
unilaterally killing silver light.


On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 at 5:26 pm Greg Keogh 
<[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
Folks, has anyone else in here given Blazor a good bash and got comments? I've 
run some sanity tests on 0.7 and it's looking pretty good. You can reference 
packages and projects, there's basic binding (which I hope they improve), you 
can break things up into "components" and nest them, separate code-behind if 
you want, register and inject services, define routing, make async web calls, 
deploy to Azure web apps, etc. All this stuff I mentioned is in the docs, but I 
had to try it myself to see if it really works. The only thing I haven't tried 
yet is rendering a large complex page to see how it performs and responds to 
DOM changes.

So finally it looks like there's a real chance in the .NET ecosystem that the 
crazy zoo of JS frameworks to make SPAs will be displaced by a familiar and 
respected languages and frameworks. Great, but suddenly I was slapped hard by a 
shocking realisation … we're still stuck using the web browser and HTML (and 
some JS glue) for rendering the UI.

The web browser cannot render complex business app UIs. Where are the rich 
controls and layout features we are used to on the desktop, or in Silverlight, 
or Flash or Java Applets for that matter? HTML was created to render simple 
text and pictures and now 27 years later it's completely effing stupid that 
we're still trying to create apps with it. We're changing how those apps are 
written, but we're still stuck with the damn browser and HTML for rendering.

I have an example … a few weeks ago I wondered by a web page was taking 40s to 
load. It turned out I was loading a tree (a fake one, as there is no tree 
control) with 4000 nodes, each one in a div and 3880 of them were hidden. So 
the page looked small and tidy, but there were thousands of hidden divs. I 
spent hours of suffering inventing a click-demand-load technique. There is no 
virtualisation in HTML, which is taken for granted in real UI frameworks.

There endeth the good news and the bad news.

Greg K

Reply via email to