Dear Ross,
Whilst i believe your intentions were honorable and sincere in your synopsis
of spirituality and religion, i would like to say i strongly disagree with
your notion of religion and that it oppresses women. If you would like to
increase your knowledge i have some books on women in islam that may alter
your view point.  I dont beleive that infact any religion suppresses or
oppresses women, i beleive it is the people who interpret it and claim to be
authorities on the matter, do.  Actually, I have a really good article on
women in islam, but i dont have a scanner...i have it on disk some where at
home, when i find it i will send it as an attachment on the ozmidwifery
list.
Ignorance my friend breeds prejudice, and we as midwives (or not) should
begin to remove the barriers, even if we dont agree with anothers point of
view, our difference should unite us.
lots of love
arwa