Thank you Andrea that was a lovely story, a beautiful birth. I have a
question about active management of 3rd stage. Having gone to school in the
US, my experience with  3rd stage at a spontaneous birth is mainly
expectant/physiologic management. If we do give an oxytocic it is usually
after the cord has stopped pulsing and has been cut and clamped. I have a
question regarding clamping and cutting the cord immediately (or ASAP)after
giving the oxytocic (when it has been administered either when the anterior
shoulder is born or after the birth of the baby. The question is: is it
dangerous to wait for the cord to stop pulsing after giving an oxytocic? Is
this because of fear that the oxytocic will cross the placenta and harm the
baby? Is there any evidence to support this? I have looked up text books and
online but all I find are protocols, no rationale.  Thanks, marilyn