Thank you all for your responses to my question. I too like to leave the
maternal end of the cord unclamped, although as a student I had some midwives
ask me to reclamp it as they wanted to know where the blood being lost was
coming from.  On thinking about the responses I would like to venture that
the concern about the baby getting extra blood has been also raised in
discussions of physiologic third stage and I think Lois's response is right
on the money: it depends on the position of the baby in relation to the mum
how much extra blood the baby is getting. Regarding the stronger contractions
causing more blood being pumped to the baby, I don't think it works this way
for these reasons: 1. The baby's heart is pumping the blood, not the uterus.
2. When you augment or induce a woman in labour and if her uterus experiences
hyperstimulation, then the baby may receive less blood not more resulting in
fetal distress. 3. The intent of the oxytocic in third stage is to schear the
placenta off the uterine wall with the increased contractions constricting
the uterine capillaries, if anything perhaps the stronger uterine
contractions would restrict the amount of residual placental blood available
to the baby.  4. My original concern about the oxytocic crossing the placenta
to the baby also seems to be mute if what I just wrote is in someway correct.
 Bottom line is I still feel like I am guessing about this.

The question came up when as a student the mum I was caring for had agreed to
having third stage actively managed (she had had a "long labour": tired
uterus), but she didn't realise that this meant the cord would be cut
immediately after the oxytocic was given (this was our fault as we hadn't
covered this with her in the discussion, which brings to mind the flaws of
giving informed consent in labour). So, when I was about to clamp the cord
she said "Oh, but it hasn't finished pulsing", I said "your right then, we'll
just wait for a minute or 2" and the midwife who was supervising me said "Oh!
but we've given the pitocin, so we have to cut the cord now". And we did, the
mum seemed to be ok with it, she had had a lovely and triumphant birth (I
think and hope) apart from that. It was just after reading AndreaQ's lovely
story, I felt a pang of guilt and also a lack of knowledge re the
consequences of delayed cord clamping after an oxytocic has been administered.
Again, thank you to all who responded, I am still pondering.  marilyn