Bit of a medical question here.  Everytime I have been given pethadene, I have a severe anxiety attack, almost to the point of hysteria.  However, I think it may not actually be the peth, but the maxalon routinely given.  Whenever I have taken maxalon intravenously, and sometimes in tablet form, I react the same way.  I have heard maxalon can have that affect on people, and thats why it cant be taken long term.  Anyone else ever heard of this?
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Sue Cudlipp
Sent: Tuesday, 7 May 2002 10:27 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: nitrous oxide

Seems to be becoming more common for some obstetricians to offer Morphine rather than Pethidine. I can't understand why - the effects are more sedating and I personally don't really like giving it.
I wonder why N2O2 is not used in the US - it is definitely one of the more useful tools for pain relief in labour as it is mostly under the woman's own control and does not appear to have adverse effects for the baby (although I'm sure someone will quote literature to correct me there!)
I have not heard of Meptid either.
Regards, Sue