Hello Aviva,

>At the dance studio where I work out, (in Adelaide) I mentioned today that
>I wanted to return to giving Active Birth classes. "Insurance" was the
>cry. Oh blimey, here we go. Any ideas?
>
>Aviva

What is the problem with insurance? As an educator, you are not involved
with treatment of the pregnant women in any way, and as long as you make it
clear you are not giving advice, but making suggestions based on sound
evidence, there is a miniscule risk of someone being able to prove in a
coutrt of law that it was you who caused an adverse outcome. Therefore
there is no need for professional indemnity insurance.  Of course, if you
ask a lawyer or an insurance salesman (who have a vested interest anyway)
they will tell you you need insurance, and give you a lot of frightening
advice, but this is all based on heresay as there has never been a case of
an educator being sued, as far as I know, in Australia, the UK or the US.

IF you are planning to run exercise classes (e.g. yoga) for pregnant women
you may want to consider your position, but if you are just facilitating a
"regular" prenatal program there should be nothing for you to worry about.

Don't let people put you off -  we need lots of educators who believe in
normal and natural birth to help parents work through the issues and find
the best birth they can.

Regards,

Andrea

-----
Andrea Robertson
Birth International * ACE Graphics * Associates in Childbirth Education

e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
web: www.birthinternational.com