Date: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 01:19:44
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Re: [Children Present at Births)

Rhonda wrote:

This reminded me of a woman I know who had not intended her 2yr old son to be at the birth of her second child.
When she went into labour she could not get hold of her back up child care.
So they went to the hospital and hubby had the 2yr old - trying to call for someone to help.
To cut it short - a fast labour 21/2 hrs with 2 yr old running about delivery room - turning the lights off and on while baby was born.
She was shocked that the nurses didn't even assist with loking after him.
This was   about 11 yrs ago but she still laughs about yeling at her son to "turn the light back on" between pushing.
He was totally unprepared and a little too young to be unattended while Dad helped her.

With my second son I went into labour prematurely (30 weeks).  We had made no plans, and it was all very quick, so our elder son - Daniel - came with us.

Daniel was just one week beyond his 1st birthday, and I clearly remember my poor husband trying to help me while holding Daniel in his arms.

Sadly, our son died, and I do remember very clearly all the wonderful midwives and other staff who cared for our son while we held our new baby and said goodbye.  I think he subsisted on orange juice and cookies :-)

Daniel is always quick to mention that he was at his brother's birth - although I'm pretty sure he has no memory of it.

Debbie Slater
Perth, WA