Dear All,
My daughter was only 2 years old when she witnessed her first homebirth. She sat quietly in the corner of the bathroom sucking on a bottle of apple juice while my friend laboured. Afterwards when questioned as to "where baby Abigail came from" she would reply: "out of the bathroom!". A few months later (she must have been thinking about it in the interim) when questioned she answered: "out of Auntie 'Chelle's bottom". Today those 2 girls attend the same school together and are great friends.
If children sense that everyone is calm and not fearful they also will cope well.
Leanne.

From: "Aviva Sheb'a" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Re: [Children Present at Births)
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 12:56:30 +1030

Yes, that was the same approach I had with my son, Leslie, attending Rosie's birth. It was wonderful. Leslie was actually the first person on the planet to see anything of his little sister. He was the one to tell us all, the head was crowning. He was so excited, I can hear his voice now. It has given them a bond I've never seen in any other pair of siblings. They protect each other to the nth degree, whether that means by getting someone else to back off, or by one giving the other a bit of a talking to. And it all works both ways.
Love and hugs,
Aviva