From: Mary Murphy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, 1 November 2003 14:55
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Hypnobirthing

>From  a paralell discussion on a/n education on another list
..."Interestingly, this morning I was reading the abstract of an article
written by Robbie Davis-Floyd entitled 'Mind Over Body: The Pregnant
Professional'.The article was published in the Journal of Prenatal &
Perinatal Psychology &Health in 1994 vol. 8(3) p. 201-228.

31 middle class women were interviewed about pregnancy, birth, childrearing
&
career. A predominant theme was the women's views of their body as something
to be controlled. They felt out of control during pregnancy & birth. They
demand pain relief and are happy with intervention as long as they feel in
control about decisions.

I wonder - what have women decided before they even attend antenatal
classes?
What are the beliefs behind what they say they want during class time. Are
they aligned?

What lies behind the proclamation "I knew this was going to happen!" after a
fully dilated labouring woman agrees to a recommended c/s? Is she in tune
with
what is happening inside her body or had she unknowingly guided the
decision?"