All the talk about hypno birthing is very interesting.  My understanding was
that only copies of Dick-Reads book childbirth without fear written prior to
1939 were actually written exclusively by him and since then has been
modified by many others.  I own this book and while I can imagine how
someone came up with a term like hypno birthing I didn't feel that's what
Dick-Read was saying.  I saw what he says as meaning that women had to relax
and to go within in order to let the natural pain killers we have work so
well.  I'm amazed that people always find ways to make money of others with
some new method for helping women birth better or easier. I agree with
Marilyn  to some extent.  I don't think we need to learn how to birth but I
do believe that natural birth has become so surpressed in our society that
the inate knowledge of women to birth their babies is being stiffled.  Women
need to be encouraged that it is within them, the need to be told that they
can do it and that with good relaxation pain can be reduced.  Many of us
know that pain can be caused physiologically through fear, not just of pain
but of many other things. And by the way, women should be informed that
having a baby is not something we control, I tell my clients to take their
logical brain and put it up on a shelf because the body needs to work
uninterupted by the logic we place such high value on.

Dierdre