Try Michel Odents work.

Midwifery Today website also has loads of articles, which are often useful for me! www.midwiferytoday.com

Kirsten
~~~start life with a midwife~~~
To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Sent: Sunday, March 27, 2005 3:36 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] newbie after some help :)

Hi,

Thanks for your welcome. I am a member of the BMid Student collective, but I have not posted on there yet.

Thanks for your help Justine. As a group us students at uts have been extremely fortunate to have Nicky Leap as a guest lecturer and we have covered quite a bit about pain in labour which has been fantastic.

To give you a bit more information the woman I was able to attend was scared of the pain of birth and stopped pushing, or tried to withhold her pushing (if that makes sense). I'm linking her fearful birth experience with her inability to bond with her baby at birth - I assumed there would be an article about that out there somewhere :)

I obtained quite a bit of information from the maternity coalition website which helped me in my application to uts. It's a great site. It's on my long list of places to join!

Thanks again everyone,
Holly

---- Justine Caines <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Dear Holly

Welcome to the world of midwifery!

I hope as a new B Midder you will or have joined Maternity Coalition.

The work of volunteer consumers in the last 5 years has been huge.

In fact it was a last minute intervention by Maternity Coalition that

assisted in achieving insurance for the UTS B Mid course!

Check out our website

www.maternitycoalition.org.au

Without details of the incident it is hard to help.

Why not look at the literature re a constant companion in labour and the

reduction in pharmacological pain relief ie push the point that without the

trust and relationship women are set up to fail.

It still astounds me that 99% of Australian women share their most intimate

act with strangers!! And midwives are forced to care for women they have

often never met!

Hodnett (Cochrane Collaboration) did a review of constant companions in

labour and birth

The National Maternity Action Plan (NMAP) on the Maternity Coalition website

will offer some sources re reduction of pain relief from one to one

midwifery.

Nicky Leap has looked at pain in labour (paper should be found on

www.birthinternational.com

Will forward other stuff if I find it.

Happy studies

Justine

Justine Caines

National President Maternity Coalition Inc

PO Box 105

MERRIWA NSW 2329

Ph: (02) 65482248

Fax: (02)65482902