Hi Holly

There are two books, probably in UTS library, where you may get some references.

Mothering the Mother - how a Doula can help you have a shorter, easier and healthier birth
Klause, Kennell and Klaus Addison Wesley

Pain, Distress and the Newborn Baby
Margaret Sparshott, Blackwell Science

If you can get hold of the old Grantly Dick Reed books on Fear and Pain in Childbirth - Knowledge is power type of approach - they are great resources.

There was a short article by Denis Walsh - Psychological barriers to labour on page 430 of the British Journal of Midwifery July 2004 Vol 12, no 7 with a related birth incident that sounded similar to that which you observed.

Good luck with your searching and have a happy Easter
Jan

Jan Robinson Independent Midwife Practitioner
National Coordinator Australian Society of Independent Midwives
8 Robin Crescent South Hurstville NSW 2221 Phone/Fax: 02 9546 4350
e-mail address: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> website: www.midwiferyeducation.com.au