From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of mh
Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 1:52 PM
To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] caseload

Thanks everyone for the answers,
The union hasn't been involved yet. The midwife who is doing the preliminary
planning has worked in caseload models apparently but in the UK. I should
think the principles would be the same though. I remember talking to a
midwife from around Bristol some years ago who worked in a caseload model
and her remuneration was about 30000 pounds, a dizzying amount when you took
the exchange rate into account.
Does the rate of 4 per month per midwife ring true? That makes only 40-44
women per year (allowing for reduced bookings for annual leave). We have
4300 women a year, say 60% (2500) were low risk (it's a referral hospital
near the Children's hospital so lots of high risk from all over the state as
well who would not be eligable I assume) that would mean about 20 teams of 3
or 30 teams of 2, 60 midwives anyhow. There's still need to be a reasonable
core of midwives covering high risk and inpatients, surely? How does that
work? Say one of your women comes into preterm labour? Sometimes they niggle
in and out of birth suite for several weeks before the baby is born. How do
you manage that? The planning so far hasn't addressed this kind of thing.
Maybe because we see so much of this my perspective is skewed. Please don't
flame me! We get an average of 20 prem labourers/ preterm ROM transferred to
us every week and many booking in with us because of known fetal
abnormalities needing early surgical intervention and 'poor obstetric
history' (usually multiple mid trimester loss) so that's a big part of the
background for us, as well as a large number of healthy, well, normal
mothers and babies.
I guess the awful ones stick in your mind because they are so, well, awful.
Thanks for any input,
Monica