To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Sent: Saturday, October 14, 2006 10:39 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] cord blood gases

Naomi
In England we have seen in increase in 'fear' of litigation. Obstetrics in this country has always taken a huge chunk of the litigation for most hospitals . We now have in our country CNST (clinical neglegence scheme for trusts). Trusts are what groups of health care organisations are called. CNST is an insurance that Trusts pay into so that litigation claims can be paid when won. The CNST set out standards for trusts and depending on how well you achieve the standards determines the insurance premiums, which you can imagine are huge figures. The trouble is that CNST requirements for the standards to be met are not always sensible or in the best interests of women. Some standards like (cord blood sampling for ph post birth) are simply taken to record results in the notes which may protect against litigation in the future. I have a million issues with this practice! We had a university supervised professional debate about this issue in the Trust where I worked when it first became an issue. The midwives against and the Obs. for. We won the debate but the CNST requirements meant that we could save the Trust loads of money if we did them so they were introduced. Some of us still refused to do them. I would only do them if it was explained in full to the mother and father and they agreed. I gave it to them warts and all (like the obs openly admit that it is just to defend them in cases of litigation.). I did not make the decision the parents did. Needless to say when you tell them how inaccurate the results are and that neither they nor the baby will benfit from the results. Many choose not to have it done. I will search out my references and post them seperately. Our debate was published in a midwifery mag here!
Shelly
Midwife
----- Original Message ----- From: "Naomi Wilkin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>