-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of wump fish
Sent: 16 October 2006 20:34
To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] cord blood gases

Hi Melissa

I realise that from a 'scientific' perspective cord gases represent an
accurate way of assessing fetal distress. But, I was on duty when a baby
died due to shoulder dystocia - it's cord gases were normal. Kind of knocked
my already weak faith in the technology. It was also policy in that hospital
to do routine cord gases. Midwives would sometimes get poor cord gases with
a vigorous baby???
I found that I was 'unable to obtain' cord gases unless there was an
indication and/or the parents had consented (how can anyone prove
otherwise?). I was concerned that if a baby came out healthy and I got
documented 'proof' of compromise I was setting myself up for problems. Also,
what do you tell the parents? You baby seems ok, but it's cord gases
indicate otherwise? Kind of risk assessment in reverse.

Quite interesting that cord gas analysis became routine overnight but
waterbirth took years of battling to get up and running. I think cord gas
analysis is an issue that needs debating - especially in relation to
allocation of resources.

Rachel