How come there is such a big difference? I mean, that is a really BIG
difference!!

Midwives have always worked altruistically and undervalued their services.
It takes an enormous emotional step for midwives to believe they are "worth
it".  If midwives actually ask for this larger payment, would women still
want to have their services?

And then again midwives want women to be able to afford their services.
Women now have an income from the Government that would pay for the midwife,
but many parents see this as a payment to relieve the mortgage, clear debt
or buy a big TV.  It is more complex than just putting up the fees.  MM