  From: Mary Murphy
  To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
  Sent: Saturday, November 18, 2006 1:42 PM
  Subject: RE: RE: [ozmidwifery] homebirth costs

  How come there is such a big difference? I mean, that is a really BIG
difference!!

  Midwives have always worked altruistically and undervalued their services. It
takes an enormous emotional step for midwives to believe they are "worth it".
If midwives actually ask for this larger payment, would women still want to
have their services?

  And then again midwives want women to be able to afford their services. Women
now have an income from the Government that would pay for the midwife, but many
parents see this as a payment to relieve the mortgage, clear debt or buy a big
TV.  It is more complex than just putting up the fees.  MM