I have found this topic quite an eye-opener, particularly as someone who
hopes to practice independently after finishing my degree.  It makes me
feel sad that midwifery is so undervalued that midwives are only expected
to be allowed to recoup costs and nothing else.  Midwifery is a passion as
well as a profession.  Just because midwives feel passionate about their
profession shouldn't mean that they have to operate a charity, nor should
they be expected to.
It is up to the government to pull up their socks and start offering
better midwifery models and funding rather than midwives providing it at
their own personal expense.

Cheers,
Sam.

As a result of all this information, I spoke with a woman who wants a