Didn,t someone previously say that the cost of living in NSW is more expensive, well that also goes for the midwives not just the women birthing. Midwives have families/lives /mortages etc. Cath ----- Original Message ----- From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Sent: Saturday, November 18, 2006 10:46 PM
Subject: Re: Re: RE: [ozmidwifery] homebirth costs

Hi Barb,

I think it's wonderful that you had such an amazing birth and wish for all women to have such an experience. From my understanding, many Sydney midwives ask their clients to come to them not vice versa. So a lot of their care is not midwifery care at home, rather it is out of their home until the final weeks. I'm not sure about all midwives, but this seems more common place now in Sydney.

And, you get paid $4000 to have a child these days.  Midwifery care at
home?  It's a bargain.

I find it very interesting that people see you get paid to have a baby. I was under the impression that the baby bonus was given to help mums to be able to afford to stay home longer from work, or upgrade their car if they need more space, or buy car seats, slings, good food for nourishment while breastfeeding etc. The only women I know that can afford to spend that whole $4000 on midwifery care are the women that didn't need that money in the first place. The women that choose to spend the whole amount even though they can't afford it, because they have no other choice in Sydney, have no benefits from the baby bonus for living expenses with a newborn. There is no bargain if you can't afford it.

I understand the value of midwives and continuity of care and midwifery care at home, but why should women in Sydney and NSW be paying that much more?? Nobody has answered that question. I'm not questioning the value of midwifery care, more why Sydney midwifery care is so much more 'valuable' in the dollars and sense kind of way?

Love Abby xo