Hi Rachael,
I sometimes share your frustrations in wondering why on earth women choose
OB's to care for them - particularly when they whinge about them so much!
However what women are after is continuity of care because they want some
feeling of certainty over who is going to be with them when they birth in
short it gives them a feeling of security and the other main reason is the
perceived "quality" of the care because an OB is regarded in Australia as
the highest qualified of anyone to deal with pregnancy and birth.
The other astonishing fact is that OB's don't even need to lift a finger to
"market" themselves... it's all done for them by our medically supportive
system.

Yesterday I had a reunion with a group who had received mixed care; some by
midwives some by private OB's and when they shared their stories and
discovered such big differences in the way they had been cared for; the
proof is in the pudding after all isn't it? A couple of them were saying
"I'm definitely going to a birth centre or have midwifery care next time!"

You might ask well why didn't they learn about this in the preparation
classes, well they did, but they often say they are not able to change late
in the pregnancy because they have already paid completely up front well in
advance to the OB and they worry about getting their money back, they assume
they can't, or they cannot get into a midwifery program or a birth centre at
a very late stage of pregnancy.

The reunion confirms a lot for them as they share their stories, one of the
lovely couples yesterday had had a wonderful homebirth with the terrific
midwives at St George hospital and the rest of the group were thrilled for
them and listened to all the details "It was a wonderful 6 hour labour,
relaxing in a pool in the lounge room and the midwife just stayed quietly
next to me and it was very peaceful..."

Warm hug
Julie

Julie Clarke