I agree with this in a general sense, however I don't think we can put all
ob's in the same basket. I am having my baby at Selangor in February which
is a private hospital but run sort of like a birth centre. There is a
midwife clinic but to have access to this service you must be under the care
of an OB. I at first was not so sure about this as I did want a homebirth
with NO MEN bar my husband involved but this service is not available to me
where I live. After my first visit I had changed my mind.

I no longer have any fears about not being in control of my birth as my MALE
OB fully supports my choice to have a water birth in fact he encourages it,
(yes still available here)and to be in total control of my natural birth. I
was even told by one of the midwife's that he will just stand aside during
the birth, does not intervene unless absolutely necessary and leaves the
midwife's to perform there duties. He is the most caring, friendly, gentle
man who is open to alternatives and has an understanding of women that is
rarely seen in Male OBS. He has respected all of my decisions to reject
blood tests, strep B testing, internal exams during labour, hep B shots for
baby, Vit K for baby and heel prick test - he didn't even bat an eyelid when
I said I want none of this. I am very lucky to have had his care and it
would be nice if more men in these positions were to take on this kind of
thinking. He trusts us as women and believes that it is our choice and as
long as we are informed about the choices we make he will fully support you.