Been researching for a while now and have finally decided I need advice.

For my client I need to create a series of custom team sites (40+) with
custom branding applied, subsites, custom lists/libraries and views etc. In
order to apply a custom master page in SP2010, I have enabled the publishing
feature (any ideas how to go about customising master pages for
non-publishing sites?). Unfortunately by (MS) design, enabling publishing
disables the ability to save the site as a template (which was to be my
solution).
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sharepoint2010general/thread/8c66
9cb5-6d27-4911-9c32-30943d2c64de

So my question is, what is best practice to achieve a consistent site look
and feel for multiple sites. MS blogs indicate that attempting to create  a
template using _layouts/savetmpl.aspx is not supported and doesn't work with
customised css (I tried L).

The same blogs suggest using a custom site definition. This make
administration easy as I can create a custom "DisplayCategory" that anyone
with permission will have access to and provide all of the custom site
definitions in there. I think this will work for me but found heaps of sites
suggesting this is an upgrade nightmare..

Last option is to create a PowerShell script to do it all, which I am happy
to do (and makes it easy to create some of the custom views I have in mind),
but I am concerned that future users or administrators wont know about this
script (i.e. they might just start from a blank site template instead of
using the script).

Any suggestions or alternatives???

Thanks

Maxine Harwood | Solutions Architect